History of ADempiere
From ADempiere ERP Wiki
How did the ADempiere story really started? Here Redhuan D. Oon tries to recap the sequence of events in history based on emails. This is meant to be a historical reference.
Started With Emails
Victor Perez calls for action
- Fri, 11 Aug 2006 22:00:54 -0500
- Email sent to: trifonnt at yahoo dot com, mar9000 at gmail dot com, lombardo at mayking dot com, red1 at red1 dot org, robeklein at gmail dot com, zpshen at gmail dot com, carlos dot ruiz at globalqss dot com, alejandro dot falcone at gmail dot com, fernando dot jimenez at e-evolution dot com dot mx, miguel dot jimenez at e-evolution dot com dot mx, oscar dot gomez at e-evolution dot com dot mx, lancona at 4layer dot it, mquezada at bodevidrio dot com, ramiro dot vergara at ofbconsulting dot com
- My name is Victor Perez, I am CEO of e-Evolution,S.C., The reason of this e-mail and attachment file is to share dream with you and invite you to be part of it. My dream is to create a System ERP CRM SCM for and owned by the comunnitty, a System that improves day by day.
- In my experience, I have been working with Compiere for 5 years. I have gotten many satisfactions, and I have taken advantage of the great job made by Jorg Janke with Compiere
- With the acquired experience I have a personal dream: to create a project that evolves from Compiere, a project with edge technology where everyone can share their ideas , with license GPL, where the problems of the end users are listened, where I can integrate my job with the job of others, where the requirements of my clients are taken into account, where my clients feel a real support, in summary something to be improved.
- Is for that reason that I dare to invite everyone interested in this proposal , with a big desire of working and to support this dream together.
- What do you think ? Any question or suggestion please send it to me.PD: I will appreciate that you keep this document for yourself, until have everybody feedback
Victor Perez Juarez
- I refused to entertain initially and felt that this was mischievous and a call to fork which wasn't necessary based on the limited information i had at that time.
Trifon reforwarded Victor's Request
- Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:37:09 -0700 (PDT)
- Trifon replied to Victor who asked if Redhuan D. Oon received the earlier emails.
- Red1 email is: redhuanoon at yahoo dot com..
An important reply
- Mon, 21 Aug 2006 20:30:48 -0500
- Sent to "redhuan daniel oon" <redhuanoon at yahoo dot com>, "Trifon Trifonov" <trifonnt at yahoo dot com>, carlos dot ruiz at globalqss dot com, alejandro dot falcone at gmail dot com, miguel dot jimenez at e-evolution dot com dot mx, mquezada at bodevidrio dot com, ramiro dot vergara at ofbconsulting dot com
- Victor responded in return to Redhuan D. Oon request for justification (both emails within)
El lun, 21-08-2006 a las 00:06 -0700, redhuan daniel oon escribió:
> Hi Victor,
> Thank u for your invitation. I have a few questions
> which basically focus on the value of the source codes
> offered itself.
> 1) When u say evolve from Compiere, do u mean to fork
> of the Compiere project and do we stop and not refer
> to it?
These depends on us but , Yes , the first plan is to make a fork that covers all the needs of the community, which arent of ComPiere 's interest, in the presentation i tried to show these needs.
> 2) Whose base codes shall we use or be refering to? If
> its from Compiere, then how do we arrange the
> licensing? Wont there be political implications in the
> market? i.e. people will know.
I think that we can have two strategies:
In the First place we can refer that it is based on ComPiere, althouth the changes that i am propousing are very ambicious, this includes in bring the good and bad things that ComPiere already has, i.e. The inestability, the lack of support, the good marketing , the great platform, etc
If the project borns to solve all the issues on compiere and we can achieve this, It is convenient for us to say that this software is based in ComPiere?
> 3) Whats the value adding or fresh valuable codes that
> your side or any other can bring to the table?
Ok, e-evolution will includes in the project all our code which is until now Manufacture (BOM,Wokflow & Routing,Manufacturing Order, MRP, CRP, Shop floor) , Human Resources & Payroll, Cash Flow ,PostgreSQL port. y suppose that we can integrate too the fixed Assets project from Rob and the work that another people wants to integrate to the project.
Aditionaly we will start the changes propoused in the document i sent you.
> 4) I generally analyse any proposal into three areas
> within the project:
> a) Source codes part
> b) Service to users part
> c) Community part
> I think they must be treated separately. As they are
> large different issues and not easily tackled even
> About community-wise, why not u introduce this openly
> and let it evolve naturally?
Exactly i thinkthat this has to evolve naturally, but it should have a better impact if the community leaders are involved in the project.
We will have to start a well defined goal and road map.
Before we officially start with this project, I want to create a strong community group, my intention is not to have a project like JazzERP or Open Bravo which arent , from my point of view, apporting to much with their fork.
> I think what Jorg Janke did was he got already his own
> set of completed high value codes and he gave it
> openly to spark it off. I have to think of whether
> this new proposal will stand to compete with that or
> whats different with it?
Exactly Jorg has a high value code, the reason to use ComPiere is to take a good phrase that a migted sitted over a giant shoulders can see farest than the giant.
In summary what i am propousing in the document are very specific improvements, all this issues were very recurrents among the users and my customers that are working with compiere right now, ComPiere doesnt have this kind of feedback because they doesnt provide first level support.
Antoher crucial difference is to mantain a 100% open source project, having knowledge that ComPiere is going to change their business model , and there will be several versions, Compiere GPL, Compiere Light and Compiere Enterprise.
Regards Victor Perez CEO e-Evolution,S.C. www.e-evolution.com skype: vpj-cd
> No doubt that Compiere has its weaknesses in the other
> 2 parts as everyone including u state so, but the
> anchor is still the codes. The rest seems to be
> downstream effort which i have been doing successfully
> in my own way, and others also harped in to fill in
> the gaps. Anyway I am most willing to explore new
> grounds and apply it again to other project if that
> first part of codes is of high value.
> Best Regards
Forking Debate Venue Identified
- Thu, 31 Aug 2006 14:59:03 -0300
- Email sent to Victor Perez Juarez" <victor dot perez at e-evolution dot com>, "redhuan daniel oon" <redhuanoon at yahoo dot com>, "Trifon Trifonov" <trifonnt at yahoo dot com>, miguel dot jimenez at e-evolution dot com dot mx, mquezada at bodevidrio dot com, ramiro dot vergara at ofbconsulting dot com, mar9000 at gmail dot com, lombardo at mayking dot com, red1 at red1 dot org, robeklein at gmail dot com, zpshen at gmail dot com, fernando dot jimenez at e-evolution dot com dot mx, oscar dot gomez at e-evolution dot com dot mx, lancona at 4layer dot it
I agree with what proposed Carlos. I think that we need agree with the different alternatives that we have (fork, another existent project, talk with Compiere Inc., or something else). Red1, are you in agreement that we begin a discussion in your forum?
carlos dot ruiz at globalqss dot com escribió: Hello, I've read some of your comments and I share some of them. But I think at this moment the discussion must not be technical, this is an issue that we must discuss later.
I propose to start a thread of discussion - maybe in red1 forum - about the possibility of forking Compiere, the implications, the team needed, etc. (If partners want to discuss this issue privately I think they can post as anonymous on forum).
I believe this is a reality we're confronting, every day looks more like Compiere is going proprietary. Or at least Compiere is going to have a version "only for partners", which is going to leave the "non-partners" in a bad position to give support, make enhancements, etc.
I believe that we're going to confront a situation of "partner, fork or go to another project" in a term of months. Maybe we can discuss the fork possibility, or the "go to another project" like OpenBravo, or the possibility to conform a community that talk to Compiere Inc. about we're thinking (not as individuals, but as community).
What do you think? Can we discuss this matter on Red1 forum?
Key Events Since The Debate
- Redhuan D. Oon opens Forking Debate on September 1, 2006 at his site.
- Ramiro Suggested Redhuan D. Oon as Temporary Leader on September 8: "Can I suggest that we assign a temporary project leader role to Red1 so he can take the first baby steps in order to get the ball rolling? we can decide on project structure on a further stage."
- Carlos Ruiz proposed the name ADempiere on September 8
- Redhuan D. Oon takes the www.adempiere.org URL proposing to spread the URLs to key members
- Carlos Ruiz takes the www.adempiere.com URL
- Trifon fails to take the www.adempiere.net
- Redhuan D. Oon requested Victor Perez to register the SourceForge project, done on September 9
- Redhuan D. Oon requested Colin Rooney to place ADempiere entry in Wikipedia (after his own entry was rejected on WIKI:VANITY clause) - September 9
- Donald Ladwig, Idalica seek collaboration with the ADempiere fork on September 11 (private email exchange with Redhuan D. Oon)
- ADempiere, Inc registered by Joel Stangeland, Idalica, USA on September 15 (privately done)
- ADempiere, Inc placed under Council control, planned as Trust Foundation (in consultations with ADempiere Council)
- Compiere to ADempiere Migration Script by Karsten Thiemann on September 15
- Drives the SourceForge ranking up to hit the No.9 spot on September 30
- Debate closed in Redhuan D. Oon forum on September 22nd
- Further debate follow through in SourceForge project forums
- Adempiere outpaces Open Source ERP Compiere with release of migration tool.
- ADempiere First Release (3.1.0) on October 13
- Idalica attempted to present the ADempiere case to the ComPiere Partners' Conference in US on October 22 but was thrown out
- ADempiere 3.1.2 is the 3rd upgrade and most downloaded release on December 14
- Hits No.1 spot in SourceForge on December 21
Unique Visitors Count
- 3736 - Sept-06
- 5146 - Oct 2006
- 6197 - Nov-06
- 6352 - Dec 2006
- 7082 - Jan-07
- 7814 - Feb-07
- 8604 - Mar 2007
- 8768 - Apr 2007
- 9833 - May 2007
- 11283 - June 2007
- 10702 - July 2007